Oct 30, 2009

Riding the Rollercoaster of Life

Just like a car needs a tune up and a house needs repairs, occasionally I need to vent or rant.. don't fool yourself, every so often it's good to just vent. Keeps the head stright and the mind clear.. at least for me it does lol. I get stressed and tense when I hold it all in, then I get crabby.. oh do I get crabby lol, I'm liable to turn into the crankapotamus lol. When that happens .. run fer the hills, I puff up like a blow fish and grow horns lol. I won't lie, it happens to the best of us under extream pressure.

Anyway, last week I had a horrible scare.. I came close to loosing one of my babies (Woody my cat). Usually he hides himself in the cupboard above my desk but for days I hadn't seen him. I thought maybe he was just hiding somewhere else in the house. After about 5 days of not seeing him I started getting worried, I actually thought for a min Brian dumped him off some where because he was caught peeing in the house. Monday I asked Brian if he seen Woody of course he said no .. I asked the boys .. they too said no, humm ok so where is my cat?
Tue when I was getting ready for class I decided to search the house from top to bottom hoping to find him. Just as I was standing in the hall I heard his little cry .. I didn't know where it was coming from so I called to him hoping he'd do it again.. all of a sudden I hear this stumbling noise, I turn around and here Woody is stumbling out of the litter box .. he took two steps and literally fell over. Both Razz & Tank ran over to him but he didn't take off running like he normally does, he just laid there. Something was wrong, it's not like him to just lay there. As I walked over to him I noticed his whole back end was wet, when I got closer I realized it was blood. My heart hit my stomach and I went into panic mode. I'm racing around the house like a chicken with it's head cut off, I get the phone, phone book, the cat carrier and towels .. race back to woody and start making frantic calls. I first called my vet, thinking I'd be able to get him in right away .. oh was I wrong.. more wrong then I thought. They were willing to take him IF I had the $400 to pay right away.. which I didn't. When I told them I had to make payments they immediately turned me away. My own vet said " If you can't afford the cost then you should turn him over to the Humane Society so he can get help". WHAT??? are you fucking kidding me? Not only am I afraid of loosing my poor cat who at this time is incoherent and limp on my lap .. he's purring so hard because he's in pain and I'm being turned away by my vet who I've been seeing for 8 years! I was irate..pissed and most of all appalled that they would refuse to care for an animal in desperate need of medical attention.
After 6 calls to different vets I finally come across a local animal hospital, I told them my situation and that I couldn't make a "full" payment .. they told me to bring Woody in right away and we'd work something out. I couldn't even think let alone comprehend what she said .. all I heard was "Bring him in". I pack him up and head off to the A.H in town. As soon as I get there they take a look at Woody and they can see he's not doing good at all. The vet came in and checked him over .. come to find out he's blocked, he has crystals in his bladder that's preventing him from peeing. It can cause an animal to become really sick even die if it's not treated.. and even if it is treated it's not guaranteed. The animal can become blocked again .. it's horribly painful for them too. She gave me the option of putting him down or trying to help him. I couldn't put my poor cat down .. not with out trying to help him first, he's only 8 years old.. still a young cat. So I made a really hard choice, I'll do what ever I can to make payments but I don't want to put him down, help him if you can.
They took him in back right away .. they put a cath & IV in him and flushed his bladder out really well. I called daily while he was there hoping for good news, the first day the vet told me he was doing as well as they would expect, he pulled through the procedure well and was up eating. The only concern they had was he still had a lot of blood. By the second day he was doing a lot better so they decided to pull his cath to see if he could pee on his own .. later in the day he did .. so that was a great sign. They called me and said I'd be able to take him home.. YAY!!
The boys and I went to pick Woody up at the A.H later that evening, when I went to arrange payments the secretary told me that there was a $300 donation made, which brought my bill down to $300, I about fell over right there! I got all teary eyed, just the thought of someone donating their own hard earned money to help save my baby .. she's more then an angel in my book! Afterwords we went in back to speak with the vet, she told me the next two days are crucial, we need to keep a very close eye on him to make sure he's urinating. If he's not he needs to come back in because he'd need to be flushed again.
When we got him home I made sure to separate him from the rest of the house, I gave him his pain medication and made sure he had everything he needed. The boys and I stayed in my bedroom for a little while making sure Woody was ok, ugh the thought of him relapsing scared the hell out of me so I was constantly checking on him to make sure he was using the litter box.
Two days passed and so far he's doing really well, the vet's office called too just to make sure he's doing well. I'm still keeping him separated just in case, he's on special food too to help break down the crystals .. it's working fantastic so far. He's doing awesome and is back to his sweet loving self.. *sigh of relief*.
I never want to experience that horrible scare ever again, I know some people think animals are just pets and nothing more but to me their like a family member, another child in a sense. I hate to see any animal suffer especially my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment